Endotoxin Testing

So What is the Correlation Between Endotoxins and Exposure to Toxic Mold?


EndotoxinEndotoxins are the comparable component (poison) in bacteria, as are mycotoxins in toxic mold exposure related illnesses. Indoor water damaged environments yield many pathogens, some in the form of mold, fungi(,) and mycotoxins, and others in the form of environmental bacteria, and poisonous endotoxins.

Endotoxin poisoning is known as “Endotoxemia”. The problem in mold exposure health related illnesses is that endotoxin poisoning “mimics” mycotoxin poisoning producing overlapping symptoms. And without the proper medical testing it is next to impossible to determine the exact cause of patient complaint. Indoor water damaged environments are complex, the amount and types of pathogens they harbor are equally complex. This is why when an exposure victim has been in an indoor water damaged environment suffering from mold exposure, the likelihood of them being positive for endotoxin poisoning may be a significant factor in their road to recovery.

Similar to (1——>3) β – D beta-glucan exposure with mold, endotoxin poisoning triggers a positive result for many inflammatory marker tests, such as; C3a – C4a- C5a and C – reactive protein. Endotoxins are an inflammatory to the human body similar to many of the components in a mold or fungal exposure. The above inflammatory marker tests may be deemed as relatively insignificant if the actual source of the inflammatory condition is not detected, diagnosed, and properly treated. Without the right medical tests, it is impossible to determine if the patient’s inflammatory condition is being caused by endotoxins, exotoxins, enterotoxins, or mycotoxins. Making successful treatment and patient recovery much more difficult, if not near impossible.

When a patient exhibits inflammation it is critical to discover if the inflammation is caused by fungal components, or their bacterial counterparts. Too often healthcare providers solely focused on only mold and mycotoxins totally miss the endotoxin factor. This may be why many of those physicians have lower rates of patient recovery. If certain inflammatory conditions are left untreated, those conditions have been documented to cause permanent and irreversible tissue and nerve damage.


Symptoms of Endotoxin Poisoning

Endotoxins cause organ dysfunction, disease and inflammation in the human body. Endotoxin poisoning creates a condition within the human body known as Endotoxemia and Endotoxin Shock. Endotoxins in human beings can produce a wide range of symptoms and diseases, including death. Called “Sepsis”, or “Septic Shock”, Septic Shock is a serious condition that occurs when a body-wide infection leads to dangerously low blood pressure. Any type of bacteria can cause septic shock. Fungi and (rarely) viruses may also cause the condition. Toxins released by the bacteria or fungi may cause tissue damage. This may lead to low blood pressure and poor organ function. Some researchers think that blood clots in small arteries cause the lack of blood flow and poor organ function. The body has a strong inflammatory response to the toxins that may contribute to organ damage.

Risk factors for Septic Shock Include:
  • Diabetes
  • Diseases of the genitourinary system, biliary system, or gastro-intestinal system
  • Diseases that weaken the immune system, such as AIDS
  • Indwelling catheters (those that remain in place for extended periods, especially
  • Intravenous lines and urinary catheters and plastic and metal stents used for drainage)
  • Leukemia
  • Long-term use of antibiotics
  • Lymphoma
  • Recent infection
  • Recent surgery or medical procedure (nonsocial infections)
  • Recent use of steroid medications
  • Solid organ or bone marrow transplantation
Symptoms of Septic Shock

Septic shock can affect any part of the body, including the heart, brain, kidneys, liver,
and intestines.

Symptoms may include:
  • Cool, pale arms and legs
  • High or very low temperature, and or chills
  • Light-headedness
  • Little or no urine
  • Low blood pressure, especially when standing
  • Heart Palpitations
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Restlessness, agitation, lethargy, or confusion
  • Shortness of breath
  • Skin rash or discoloration